What Do YOU Want to See on the ToD Marquee?
2024-25 Pitch Meeting: Sunday, December 3 @ 2 p.m.
Theatre of Dare
3848 N. Croatan Highway
Believe it or not, it's already time to start planning Theatre of Dare's 34th Season, which will kick off in the fall of 2024! And we want YOU to be involved!
HOW TO PITCH A SHOW:
This year, we have TWO ways you can get your favorite show on our marquee:
1) If you are a qualified director (someone who has directed or assistant directed a Theatre of Dare production in the past, or you have a qualified director willing to direct your show), please fill out this form and attend our 2023 Pitch Meeting on Sunday, December 3 at the theater at 2 p.m. Tell us what the show's about, why you think it's perfect for our stages, and bring at least one copy of the script (or a link where we can read it), and sell us on it!
2) If you don't have a director in mind, but you've always, always, wanted to see us do a specific show, let us know by filling out this form and hitting the 'submit' button. We'll take a look and consider it!
BEFORE YOU PITCH A SHOW, PLEASE ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS:
1) IS IT AVAILABLE/CAN WE AFFORD IT? Recent shows that are still on Broadway or on a national tour are often unavailable to community groups, or astronomically expensive for us to produce. So, as much as you love 'Hamilton' or 'Dear Evan Hansen', it probably won't happen for us next season.
2) CAN WE STAGE IT? Some plays and musicals require elaborate multi-level sets or moving pieces such as turntables or other items we just can't fit on our stage at this point. As you're reading/pitching a production, try to picture it on our new stage. If you can't picture it, chances are we won't be able to, either.
3) CAN WE CAST IT? We can only cast people who show up for our auditions. If the play or musical you're proposing requires a specific cast that we're not seeing at our try-outs, we probably won't be able to put it in next season's lineup. For instance, we may not have the talented roller skaters/dancers we'd need to do 'Starlight Express'.
4) HAVE WE DONE IT RECENTLY? We know you loved 'Arsenic & Old Lace', 'Mame', and 'The Mousetrap', but all of those shows have graced our stages over the past four years, so it's not likely we'll be doing them again next season. If you want to see what we've done recently, check out our Archive of Past Productions. As a general rule, we try not to do shows we've done in the past ten seasons.
WHAT HAPPENS THEN?
The Theatre of Dare Board of Directors will spend the next few months reading the shows that are pitched and piecing together a season that is well-rounded and varied by theme, cast size, interest, etc. Final selections/lineup will be announced at a Season Reveal Event for season ticket holders, likely sometime in April 2024.
THE 'PEOPLE'S CHOICE SHOW'
The Board will also be nominating several pitched non-musical productions for a 'People's Choice Show', and allow our audience to decide which of those selections they would most like to see on our stage. A vote will be held on our website, and the winning show will become a part of our 2024-25 Season, also announced at our reveal event in April.